Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Frozen Greatness

Every couple of years people are looking for new ways to satisfy their taste buds with different types of foods, deserts, or drinks. First there was boba. Honey dew milk tea, slushy almond milk tea, and etc. Then there was crepe, a thin slice of pancake folded into a shape of a cone holding delicious fruits such as mangos, strawberries, and kiwis together with the classic vanilla ice cream and topped off with whip cream. And today, the new rage is frozen yogurt or as the cool kids like to call it, “fro-yo”. We seem to be falling into different kinds of food treads every so often. Is it because our lives are plain and boring and we jneed that little taste of excitement in our lives? Or can it be that we are tired of the everyday menu and that we just want to try something new. Whatever the reason might be, there is no doubt that we do find ourselves caught up in these food treads every couple of years.

Today, frozen yogurt has been the number one dessert to eat. One of the reasons we allow ourselves to eat this frozen greatness is because we heard it is healthier than other desserts. Frozen yogurt is made from yogurt rather than cream, which is why people see frozen yogurt as a healthier treat to eat. I’m sure most people do not know the actual details why yogurt is better than cream, therefore people just believe what they hear so they can enjoy eating frozen yogurt without feeling guilty.

Frozen yogurt has become such phenomenon that there are endless flavors to choose from. There are several flavors such as green tea, pineapple, raspberry, pomegranate, plain tart (my favorite) and more. With such a variety of favors to choose from there will be a flavor to satisfy everyone’s taste buds. It doesn’t just stop with the several different flavors of frozen yogurt. There are also toppings!

Yes, toppings, tons and tons of toppings. Toppings are one of the major reasons why people go out and buy frozen yogurt. Why just have a frozen yogurt plain and boring when anyone can add practically anything that their taste bud desire to it. The possibilities are endless. There are regular toppings such as cereal and fruits, but there are toppings that are so delicious that I would have never imagined. One of the greatest topping invented for frozen yogurt is bite size cheese cake. Whoever thought of putting frozen yogurt and cheese cake together is a genius.

Also with many different frozen yogurt locations being made people practically can eat it any time they want. There are different types of frozen yogurt places such as Yogurt Land and Sierra Cup. The difference between the two is that one is self serve and the other one is not. I have a friend that use to worked at Sierra Cup, a frozen yogurt place that sells yogurt behind the counter. She says that the non self serve frozen yogurt locations had better quality yogurt than the self serve frozen yogurt location such as Yogurt Land, but that is her opinion and truthfully I can’t actually the difference. People probably do pay a little more for better quality frozen yogurt, but in the end it’s all the same. Having a person serving you frozen yogurt or creating it yourself has really no difference because in the end it is still your ideas that puts together the frozen greatness.

Frozen yogurt having such a variety of flavors and toppings it’s going to be the number one dessert to eat for a while. And as time goes on boba and crepe stores will close down and new stores will open to follow the consumers’ demand, which is frozen yogurt.

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you on how everyone is starting to eat yogurt as their desserts because they think it's healthier. In fact, a cup of plain tart (which is also my favorite), has only 18 calories. Since I watch my calories when I eat, I often go to Yogurtland or Red Mango to satisfy my stomach.

    i prefer self serve yogurt places because it gives me a chance to create my own style. I can put less fruits and add more mochis (rice cakes) to create my own yogurt taste. I usually have fun making it into my own preference. I really enjoyed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frozen yogurt really has become a huge craze in our society today. I don't really find i that surprising but what i do find crazy is that it got so big so fast and now it is just a norm. Pink Berry like sparked this frozen yogurt craze and now Yogurt Land is just dominating it to perfection. I do also agree with you about the toppings, like the concept of making a bite sized cheese cake and putting it on yogurt is baffling. It is super legitimate if you think about it though. All these toppings that they have came up with are super legitimate if you think about it though because of the wide variety of people. People like all sorts of different things. As Mr. Tsuyuki was talking about how you have to serve yourself at these kinds of places and how it defeats the purpose of getting the experience of being served, I was thinking that I disagree. I like the fact that you are able to manage and create your own style of yogurt. I think for the frozen yogurt concept you kind of have to put together and manage your recipe because if the workers did it, it would not be the exact way you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love frozen yogurt. As a matter of fact I just had some yogurt last Tuesday after class. My friends and I were craving for some Yogurtland so we walked about one full block away from school to get there. I definitely agree that it is very healthy for your diet. Yogurt has never been my favorite treat, but since I stumbled upon places like Pinkberry or Yogurtland it changed my whole view on self-served yogurt. I love the fact that we get to serve ourselves with as many toppings as we desire and we have the ability to create our own personal yogurt. It’s basically your decision and you have more freedom to do so. Unlike restaurants that cater to you, most of the food is limited to a certain amount.

    -Stephanie Sangalang-

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since many yogurt places have opened, many people including myself have preferred it over ice cream places. They say that you can put whatever topping you want on your yogurt but in fact, in cold stones, you can do the same for ice cream. However, yogurt has just has an unforgettable taste to it that wont even compare to ice cream. Being at a high demand, they have made it possible to start placing pink berry’s everywhere. Like for example, I barely even noticed there was a pink berry right across the street from the del amo mall. Where did that come from? And right next door is a Baskin Robbins, which would be a real competition between the two. But who you will you decide for?

    ReplyDelete