Thursday, May 7, 2009

Dim Sum































A few days ago, I went with a couple of friends to get some Dim Sum. For those who

have never heard of Dim Sum before, it is a type of Chinese restaurant that serve a

variety of food such deserts, fruits, vegetables, meat, and mainly seafood dishes.

Most of the dishes are light dishes meaning that there is not a lot of one item on a

single plate. People that eat at dim sum can have a variety of food to choose from.

Since I have not had Dim Sum in such a long time, when I first bit into the steamed

meat dumplings it brought tingling sensation to my taste buds.


I think everyone should try dim sum because it will be a perfect eye opener

for people to experience a part of the Chinese culture. There is no other restaurant

experience that can match it. The restaurant hires old fragile Chinese women to push

around these heavy food carts around the restaurant, so the customers can see and

pick the type of food they desire right there and then. No other style of restaurant

that I know of offers such a unique service, where I can see what I like and have it

on the table in a matter of seconds. I call this great service. One of the most

impressive things about Dim Sum is having a huge variety of food to choose from.

People can choose from wontons to lotus leaf rice or egg tart to sesame seed balls,

but I am going to talk about one of the more popular dishes called Sui Mai.


Let’s start with the most dish called steamed meat dumplings or in the in the

ancient language, Siu Mai (sue my). Steamed meat dumplings are made by pressing a

thin round egg-and-flour wrapper around a bite-size meat filling, which is usually

pork, and leaves the top of it expose. For my personal opinion, the reason for it

being very delicious is because it is juicy, soft and gives off a good meaty taste.

Also, a very important thing about them is that they are bite size. This is

important because when eating people do not want troubles such as having to pick and

spit out bonds or even use a knife cut into the meat. People generally like easy and

simple task. Therefore, besides steamed meat dumplings being extremely delicious,

they are also easy to eat which makes them reasonable to be one of the most favorite

dishes of dim sum.


Overall, I always have a good time eating at Dim Sum because having a good selection

of food to choose is always a plus. Also, it is typically the norm to eat five

different dishes because they are so tiny, which is a good to try different kinds

foods. Finally, I would recommend anyone who likes to eat Chinese food and seafood

to go and try Dim Sum.

No comments:

Post a Comment