Tuesday, May 5, 2009

What is it Called? Thai Iced Tea


























Since the beginning of my life I have been integrated into the Asian

culture. To be more specific I have been raised in a Vietnamese and Chinese

household where plenty of chow mein, fried rice, and pho dishes have been created

and devoured. I must admit that people raise in an Asian culture do have a good

section of food to eat, but one of my favorite items to choose when I am at a

Vietnamese or Chinese restaurant is not a dish, but a drink. Thai iced tea is one of

the must have that I always choose when I have the chance to have with my meal.


The other day my friend John, who is Caucasian, and I went to eat at Pho 79,

which is located in Orange County on the intersection between Brookhurst and

Hazard. This Pho restaurant has been in business since my dad came to Southern

California more than 25 years ago, so food must be good since it has been in

business for such a long time. As the food that we ordered came and was placed on

our table I asked, “John, have you ever tried Thai Tea before” and he said, “No, I

never heard of that before. What is it?” A part of me knew that he have never tried

it before, so I ordered us two Thai Iced Teas. When the waiter brought out the Thai

Iced Teas he gave a confused look and said, “Why does it have a orange and white

layer?” As I laughed quietly, I told him, “Just mix it together with your straw and

try it.” As he began to sip the drink his face started to light up as if he was

watching fire works for the first time. At that very moment I knew that he loved it,

but just to make sure I asked if he liked it and he responded by saying, “I love it,

I have to get another one…What is it called again?”


What makes Thai Iced tea such a good drink is that it is different from the

everyday soda, water, and juice drinks that I see every day on campus and in the

local American stores that I frequently visit. I do not think there will be ever see

the day when there will be vending machines or soda dispensers that has Thai Iced

Tea as a selection. Having its own originality because it consists of milk and Thai

tea makes it a hard drink to compete with because it gives off a sweet creamy taste,

which the majority of the population loves. Also, having Thai Iced Tea brings back

good childhood memories when I would eat with my parents and grandparents. Overall,

Thai ice tea will satisfy any person’s sweet tooth and make any Asian style meal

more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment